Saturday, January 18, 2014

Christmas 2013 Recap

Ever since Andre and I started dating all the way back in 2003 Christmas has always seemed like a little bit of a juggling act. Balancing the Us with Them. I remember our first Christmas which seemed like a race versus a celebration. A feat of time management and making sure that we made sure to visit everyone, making them happy and pushing us to the side. I was miserable that year. All I remember was visiting from beginning to end, and sitting in the car.

Since that year I have been trying to find more of a balance. Making sure that our family unit had time to develop our own memories and traditions, while still making sure that we take time to visit and create memories with our extended families. I think every year we're getting closer and closer, and this past year when looking back I think of the travelling and visiting, but also the fun, excitement, and quiet moments we were able to spend as a family of three at home together.

So here is a recap of Christmas 2013!

The last few years Andre's parents have preferred not to travel, not that I can blame them both being over 80! So that means that on Christmas Eve we go up to visit and celebrate with them. The last two years we have gone up in the mid afternoon and had dinner together, but this year we decided to do lunch instead so we would have more time for visiting, and not have to rush out the door so we could get Emilie to bed at a reasonable hour.

I don't know about Andre, but I liked this MUCH better!



 I wish that this one was clearer, but I'm still learning how to use my DSLR, and Emilie moves too much. She had gotten a box set of Dora videos from her Nana and Grandpa and she loved them so much. She started chanting "Dora, Dora!" which sounds more like "Dara, Dara!" and running around.

We had an early dinner/late lunch with Andre's parents, did some visiting and then were on our way home. To tell you the truth I was so excited to be at home on Christmas Eve evening. We've never had a relaxing evening at home on Christmas Eve just the three of us. It's always the rush out the door to get our cranky, overtired toddler home to bed.

One tradition that we started this year was to let Emilie open one Christmas gift on Christmas Eve. We wrapped up a new movie, Christmas pj's and a new cozy blanket for her and this was the gift she unwrapped. She loved her new Santa jammies and immediately stripped off her clothes so she could change. I had figured she would do this so I had washed everything before wrapping it up.


That night the three of us just snuggled together and watched Bubble Guppies before she went to bed. It was the perfect thing before all the toy assembling "fun" began!

Emilie decided Santa needed some candies as well as chocolate cookies.

Santa came!

Our tree all ready for Christmas morning.

Christmas morning we slept in until around 7:30 which was great because Andre and I were so tired after wrapping some last minute gifts. Emilie loved going through her stocking and playing with her new Princesses in their castle.





There had been one gift that Andre and I were so excited to get her. Emilie has been obsessed with her infant car seat for months. It had been in storage in our basement, but Emilie would see it and want it upstairs so her babies could go "shopping" so it would end up in our living room, and our living room is not that big. It would drive Andre and I banana's so we decided to get her a baby car seat made just for her babies.




It even comes complete with a three point harness so her babies can be buckled up and safe just like Emilie is in her own car seat. For $12 this was one of the cheapest gifts that we purchased and one of her favourites. Another favourite was a $10 Aquadoodle accessory kit that she plays with several times a week. Sometimes you don't have to break the bank to make your toddler happy.

We had some breakfast at home and then it was off to my parents house to open even more gifts and see what Santa had left at their house.

Enjoying her new Dara chair that Santa brought while checking out her stocking.


My mom always makes bacon and eggs for breakfast on Christmas morning so Emilie decided that she needed some more food!

Our afternoon was pretty quiet since Emilie decided to give Andre and I a Christmas gift and actually have a good nap that afternoon. It was such a treat to shower and get ready all on my own without my little helper.

We always have Christmas dinner at my parents house and this year was no exception. Emilie looked so pretty in her little jumper. She had nicknamed it her "Christmas dress" and she looked so cute it in.

Emilie and her Pepere before dinner.

True to form Emilie crashed around 6:30 and we came home and put her to bed. I think two days in a row of gifts and visiting is our little girls maximum and she let us know!

Andre and I left everything in the living room that night and just sat back and watched a holiday movie that night. It was a great way to end a chaotic day!

No comments:

Post a Comment